Are you comfortably numb?

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Classical music is the best music in the world

I've just spent a profitable morning in bed preparing my Zig-Zag talk. It's on, can you guess? Yes - Christmas. I mean, Jesus' birth. Two entirely different things. I have to do the one about the shepherds. Sounds like a F.R.I.E.N.D.S. episode (it just occurred to me, does anyone know what the letters are supposed to stand for? *Bec spends the next 10 minutes trying to come up with possible explanations...*... Actually, you guys could use the comments to show us your suggestions! For Rachel Is Evidently Not Doing Speed?). Anyway, I was trundling along in my preparation, thinking, how on earth can I make this into a story that the kids will sit up and listen to, rather than spend the 10 minutes going, "I DID THIS AT SCHOOL! I KNOW A SONG!" When I was hit by a metaphorical lightning bolt of inspiration. I will TELL THE STORY WRONG! Yes, I will tell the story deliberately wrong, and their task is to make a silly noise (I haven't yet decided on the noise yet. Suggestions are welcome, apart from if you are male) when they realise I'm saying something that's not in the actual story. For example:

"So Mary and Joseph got to Bethlehem, and they found a massive posh hotel where there was LOADS of room for them to stay!"

And later-

"So an angel went to all the important people in the government and who ruled the country and told them about Jesus being born."

And they will hopefully say, 'Nooooooooooooooo Bec, you're silly' or something to that effect, and thus the surprises in the story will be revealed.

This could go horribly wrong, in that they're all very little, and might not know the story that well, but I'm hoping I'll choose such obviously wrong things that it will work. We shall see. I'm going round the McQs to chat it over with Sarah so hopefully she'll tell me if it's a disastrous plan.

I'm listening to Albinoni's Adagio for Strings in G minor right now, it's amazing. The music just sort of washes over you in this beautiful wall of sound. It reminds me of September 11th, because on that evening me, Dad and a couple of other people from church went to see a performance in the Igreja Presbiteriana, and this was one of the pieces they played.

Oooh the dulcet tones of Albinoni have just faded into the dulcet tones of Radiohead. Surprisingly suitable to the tone, given it's Talk Show Host. There's something quite surreal about classical music, in that you can almost drift out of the world you're in and be transported to a whole new plane, where communication is quavers and expression is a crescendo. It is quite astounding the amount that can be conveyed through music, without a single word. Although Thom Yorke is doing a good job of communicating something right now.

Right, I must go. Ta-ta.

Now playing: Radiohead - Life Is Depressing, I Want to Die, they're going to GET YOU

3 Comments:

  • Frankly, Ross Is Effortlessly Now Donald Sutherland ?

    Frequent Rainfall In Everyway Nullifies Decent Summertimes ?

    For Rachel, Is Eating Nothing Deadly Serious ?

    Anyway, i thought the word friends itself summed up the show rather well on its own? :D

    Good idea for the story - if it works it'll be cool. And it'll work :)

    By Blogger Simon, at 11:48 pm  

  • Friends Really Is Easily No Definite Success

    Friends Redefines Immoral Etiquette: Nothing Devalues Sex

    *cynic*

    By Blogger Tom, at 1:01 am  

  • Great idea, Bec, I'm going to use it myself for our Christmas night/Zete's birthday supper evening. Hope it goes well - if Sarah agrees you can use it!

    By Blogger Cora, at 2:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home