Are you comfortably numb?

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Kate Moss: the great celebrity debate

Today, I got myself my first newspaper article. There were several news stories up for grabs, and two comments. Being me (lazy and entertaining the illusion that it's possible to work for a newspaper by just sitting in a chair mouthing off about what I think, rather than running around campus with a notepad chasing stories), I went for a comment. The first was on politics - they wanted something about the conferences this week and, more specifically, on how soon Blair should stand down (I think the phrase is ASAP). Unfortunately, some other girl bagged that one, but I had learnt probably the quickest lesson of my life so bolshily asked if I could do the Kate Moss one next (much to the detriment of others, but I knew how they felt). So, I found myself with the job of writing a savvy, opinionated comment on the media coverage of Kate Moss' recent exploits and celebrity gossip in general.

So, although I already have a few foetal ideas forming in my brain (good thing I've kept on top of the Moss story thanks to the steadily mounting pile of trashy mags growing on the communal kitchen table in our flat), I would value any mouthings off you lot have to share. So please use the comments option so post whatever you think about the topic of celebrity gossip, and specifically, Kate Moss. GO!

2 Comments:

  • Well, for what it's worth, there was a neutral report in one of the Brazilian papers we read today on the plane. Simply said Kate Moss has had some important contracts cancelled because news had got out about her using cocaine. No moral comments at all. (A cynic might interpret this to mean it's a shame she got found out, otherwise she could have got on with the jobs. The article didn't actually say this; I'm merely guessing on cultural grounds.) Will go and read some English newspaper reports now to compare.

    By Blogger Cora, at 9:16 pm  

  • I thought her whole appeal was what was known for a while as "heroin chic" - she was overthin, and looked pretty ghastly, as though she was a drug addict, but that was the image that the fashion industry wanted. But to discover that she was actually using drugs?! Oh, no, that's going too far for society.

    For me, the whole thing is grim. Basically, the fashion industry hates women - it wants them to look unattractive - too thin, and looking as though they are stretched "like butter that's been spread over too much bread" (Bilbo's comments on the effects of the Ring of Power on him, if you remember). To that end, the industry is entirely happy with unhealthy diets, too much partying, drug use and so on - because that's part of the image.

    This is supported by all those "trashy mags" that you refer to - who tacitly accept the lifestyle that they know is the pattern of the celebrities whose photos they fill their pages with. And so much of the rest of society, being built on the cult of celebrity, accepts all this. It's only when something is so obviously amiss that people suddenly say, "Whoah! How did we get here?"

    By Blogger Paul (probably - maybe Liz), at 10:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home