Are you comfortably numb?

Thursday, September 21, 2006

21

Thank you to everyone who kindly sent me birthday messages. I had a lovely birthday. We did mostly nothing during the day, interspersed with an amazing pancake breakfast, episodes of CSI and trips down memory lane looking at old photo albums. Then in the evening we went out for a great meal at It's Italian. The food wasn't French.

I was feeling quite awful about turning 21, but I think yesterday I got over it. I can't quite explain it but I feel grateful to God that I've got this far and in some ways, feel like I have grown up quite a lot in the last couple of years. Obviously in other ways there's a long way to go, but I don't feel astounded that I'm 21. (Although when I write it down like that, there is a small part of me that breathes in sharply in incredulity.)

21 is sort of a landmark age. Back in the old days it signified that someone was fully adult, ready to leave the nest and make a life for themself. Well, I'm still dependent on many people in lots of ways, but I do look at it like a landmark. I want to see it as an opportunity to really evaluate my life and live as God wants me to. I haven't done a very good job of that so far, so here's praying 21 is the start of a new era in my life.

At risk of sounding like an Oscar-winner, I want to thank everyone who has been in my life over the last 21 years, loving me and supporting me. I don't know what I would do without such a great family, and by that I mean the whole extended family, especially while Mum and Dad have been so far away. And of course everyone at Haywards Heath Church, and those who I've met at Uni who have been such great friends, and all my good friends from home and elsewhere that have "been there for me". Thank you!

But most of all, thanks to God, who is the one who loves me most but who has surely been the one I've most hurt, the one who has been most saddened and angered by the times when I've turned my back on Him, and the one who has brought me back each and every time in his infinite grace. Every breath I breathe is from Him, every smile and every achievement however small is given from His hand, and above all the salvation I have and eternal life I'm waiting for was given to me at His cost. So thank you to God and thank you to all of you who have been used by Him in my life.

May the next 21 years be even better! (Now THAT'S a scary thought!)

2 Comments:

  • Just saying "Hi"!
    When you feel like doing something different, go check my "blog" - or whatever that is... Hope you're doing OK! Enjoy the remaining days in Floripa! Take care, I'll keep in touch! AbraƧao!

    By Anonymous RafaLiebich, at 4:35 pm  

  • Happy Birthday, sorry I sort of didn't know just how old you were till now. Well, Happy Birthday!

    By Blogger Tim, at 11:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home