Are you comfortably numb?

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Garota de Floripa

...for that is what I am, for now.

Since we have arrived here several things have happened.

1) I read Atonement by Ian McEwan. This has had one of the most profound effects on me a book has ever had. To a disturbing extent. I was waking up in the night unable to stop thinking about the characters after I finished it. I highly recommend it. It is an interesting subject for a man, who as far as I know is not a Christian, to tackle. The premise is that a young girl makes victims of her older sister and their childhood friend through her imagination, and then spends the rest of her life trying to atone for the irreparable and dreadful damage she has caused. The writing is powerful, the characters believable. Again, one of those books that everyone read around the same time (like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, which you must also all read), yet not a bit underwhelming as a result. Not for the faint-hearted though, in any sense.

2) I removed my eyebrow piercing. I just didn't like it any more. And what is the point of having a piercing if you don't like it? Some would remove the last five words from that sentence and let it stand.

3) I became ill and recovered. So is that two things, or one? Who knows. Who cares.

4/5) We went to our friends' beach house on the South of the island, and although it poured with rain the whole time, we had a sweet time of fellowship enhanced by playing the Dictionary Game and Boggle. We also watched whales playing in the sea. Dad did keep trying to see Wales from the sea, but we told him it was never going to happen.

Two things have not happened:

1) I have not yet written the sample column for the Birmingham Mail, nor decided the subject it will address.

2) I have not yet turned 21. 14 hours and counting...

We are having a lovely time here with our parents. No, I didn't lift that sentence from a 'Language for Beginners' phrasebook; it is true. The culture shock is really bad this time, as it's been a good 18 months since I last visited, and I seem to have become (even more?) decidedly British in that time. The Brazilian in me is diminishing. It's quite odd how on the one hand, it feels just like 'slotting back' into a previous life, living here, and how on the other, the person inside me has changed so much.

I should go now. I need to actually do something about that column...

1 Comments:

  • 1. A bit of light reading instead of 'Human Traces'?!
    2. Absolutely!
    3. We care! But not about whether it's one or two things!
    4/5. Wish we were there!

    You probably don't wish to think about it yet, but let us know what time you land at Heathrow.

    Lots of love,
    Liz & co
    xxxxx

    By Blogger Tranquility Toblerone, at 10:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home