Are you comfortably numb?

Saturday, September 09, 2006

My amazing week at the Birmingham Mail

Bet you thought you'd never hear those words in the same sentence, eh? God has been so good this week. I'm way too tired to post a full report now (having got up at around 6:30 or EARLIER this week - didn't even know that time existed), but I'll do a quick summary.

The main highlight of the week was getting to meet, interview and lunch with Sir Trevor McDonald. Details will follow. I have a cutting from the Mail to mark the occasion.

I'd heard quite negative reports of the Mail before from fellow students who've done work experience there, but my week was amazing. I got sent out on all sorts of different jobs, including a murder trial, voxpop on the new all-male lap-dancing club and research for an article on the morning after pill.

Overall, the week was very encouraging. Although journalism is notoriously hard to get into I found myself realising that with enough hard work and initiative it is possible to get at least near where you want to be. The best thing about the week was that they've offered me a column in the 'Family Life' section of the paper in which I'd write from a student perspective on different lifestyle issues. I'm going to send them a sample column in the next few weeks so I'll keep you posted! Obviously I wasn't expecting that and it's a great opportunity which I'm really chuffed about.

Thank you to everyone who prayed for this week. I was really not looking forward to it and was feeling apprehensive about being in Birmingham on my own, but God really helped me through it and blessed me so much more than I was expecting or asking for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home