Are you comfortably numb?

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Counting our blessings

3 things that have encouraged me this week:

1) This link, which I know lots of people have appreciated. It's so cool!

2) I'm going through Search the Scriptures and this is what I learnt from a reading earlier in the week, from the end of the first block of Genesis:
Genesis 25:28 - 'Isaac, who had a taste for wild game, loved Esau, but Rebekah loved Jacob'
Genesis 26:2-5 - 'The LORD appeared to Isaac and said... Stay in this land for a while, and I will be with you and will bless you. For to you and your descendants I will give all these lands and will confirm the oath I swore to your father Abraham. I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and wil give them all these lands, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because Abraham obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws.'
Genesis 26:7-10 - Isaac copies his father and lies to Abimelech about Rebekah being his wife, telling him she is his sister.
Genesis 26:12-13 - 'Isaac planted crops... and reaped a hundred old, because the LORD blessed him. The man became rich, and his wealth continued to grow until he became very wealthy.'

Okay, so what's my point? That God's grace is so outrageous that our human minds can't comprehend it, and I think that's why we beat ourselves up so much. Isaac mucks up and in response, God just blesses him more. How many times do we berate ourselves for not doing our quiet time, for speaking in the wrong way to someone, for getting angry? And yes, we should repent for these things, but we should remember that God blesses because he chooses to bless, not because we deserve it. God does not bless because of our character but because of HIS character. Even though we know this in our heads, do we really live it? Or do we still subconsciously act like we have to earn his blessing? If we do, we must stop - by acknowledging how much grace he pours out we will give him more glory, and be entirely satisfied in him.

3) It's amazing that even when you're going through a section of Scripture in order each day, God can still pull out lessons that are so relevant to that particular moment. I've moved on to Luke now, still with STS. Over the last couple of days I've been really struggling with an essay I have to do on Hegel, and last night I completely lost sight of any kind of logical thought process and just got in a big strop about how I didn't think I could do it, and life in general (sorry Aidan). Got up this morning, and guess what the Bible reading was?
Luke 10:25-42... specifically,

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."


Kind of puts my essay (and life) in perspective!

So, the conclusion is basically that God is awesome, relevant and unrelentingly gracious!

I have Skype now by the way, if you have it, my name on it is rebecca.king1985 :)

1 Comments:

  • hi bec its nice to see you. by the way you havent done a post for a wilel. my blog is cald AJS BLOG (i think)
    any way nice blog. its a lot biger than mine. good three resons thee had there. good on ye.

    By Blogger Andrew Harman, at 12:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home