Are you comfortably numb?

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Aidan told me the Neighbours thing

...that is all. I apologise for insinuating that I worked such a fundamental fact of life out by myself. The credit is all yours...

Incidentally, while I'm at it I may as well post something that's slightly less trivial. There's a lot in the Guardian today about them winning the right to print a story about the cash-for-honours investigation, following the injunction on the BBC (which has now been lifted, subsequent to the Guardian's refusal to pulp yesterday's newspaper... I think I've got it the right way round). Alan Rusbridger, the editor, has written a comment.

While reading, I was struck that although the press and politically-minded inviduals clearly care an awful lot about this case, as, if proved against Labour will make a mockery of our political system, how much does the general public actually mind? The Guardian and the BBC fought for their right to report because they think the public has the "right to know"; they see it as a matter that is fundamental to the public interest.

But is the public interested in it? I'm sure some of them are... but it seems to me that issues like child obesity and whether we will have to pay more on our road/car tax grab our attention far more forcefully. Whether this is true will be seen if and when Labour is found to have sold peerages. Will the water-cooler discussion centre around Lord Levy, or Britney Spears' imminent breakdown?

By the way, has anyone actually read Spycatcher? It looks very interesting.

3 Comments:

  • Read it? I thought you were just supposed to own it!

    By Blogger Paul (probably - maybe Liz), at 10:45 pm  

  • Dear Miss King,

    Call me Ishmael. I have been following your blog for a few weeks and recently I have noticed some possibly disturbing feedback being left for you. As a fellow Christian I thought you may find the following inspiring in the face of all this:

    "For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion". Ecclesiastes 9.4

    Peace be upon you,

    Ishmael

    By Anonymous Ishmael, at 1:57 am  

  • I have read it. I read an illegal copy brought in from Canada.

    Obviously no one read it after it became available in the UK.

    By Blogger Andrew, at 12:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home